Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Pros and Cons

I was reading the comments on my blog today and noticed that one of my old dance students had left a comment. I spent a lot of time with these girls. For four years I taught them three or more times a week. I was 21-25 years old and loved being their teacher. They watched me meet and date, and date, and date, and finally get married to my husband and even were there up until my first baby was born. (And I have to tell you ladies, the pack-n-play that you gave me at my surprise baby shower that I still think about, is by FAR the best baby gift ever. I use it EVERYDAY even now and it has criss-crossed the country with us multiple times. So thank you!) Then I moved across the country and here we are about eight years later. I have gotten wedding announcements from a lot of them, which always makes me happy and I try to make it to their weddings if I'm in town. I hear of babies that are born and get Christmas cards. I love these things and it makes me think of all the fun we had and what really amazing young women they were then and are now. So why am I posting about this?



Today I clicked on my student's blog address and was so happy to read about all she is doing. While doing that, I noticed some of my other student's names on her site and clicked on their links. They are mostly in their early twenties now, the age I was when I taught them. It was great to see how they are starting their families, getting their educations, serving missions, traveling, etc. Strangely, I felt this pang. After an hour of laundry and continued thinking I figured out what I was feeling. I feel like I am a lot older than I was eight years ago. In some ways I wish I was 21-25 again. I started thinking of all the great things about being that age. This train of thought made my laundry pile look a little larger and my appetite grew too so I started to try to look on the brighter side of being eight years older than I was eight years ago. Since I'm such a positive kind of gal, tee-hee, I will forgo the cons and focus on the pros.


In dedication to my beautiful students, here is my list of the pros of being 23 and the pros of being 32.


The PROS of being 23.


1- Hello, you all are gorgeous!
2- Your house really does stay clean. ( unless you have a few kids already)
3- Your teeth are white.
4- You have a lot of energy and vivacity.
5- You generally have most of your hair.
6- Stretch marks are few and far between.
7- You can travel fairly easy.
8- You are newlyweds or close to it.
9- Looking at the life ahead may be scary but you feel you have the energy and motivation to face it.
10- You have your whole life ahead of you and a lot of great big choices that you can make.
11- College is AWESOME.
12- Your body parts are all generally in the same place that they were when you were 16. (See #2 for exception to the rule.)
13- You are pretty brave.
14- You are up to date on current music.
15- You are able to spend time with good friends.
16- Cooking is optional and can be very enjoyable.
17- When you go to college football games, you look like you're one of them.
18- You generally burn off more calories than you take in if you run 4-6 miles a day.


The Pros of being 32


1- I've gotten over the shock of those stretch marks and now lovingly embrace them as my own. (I'm sure there are more to come.)
2- Although not newlyweds anymore, my husband and I have found our little niches in each other's lives and days. It's comforting.
3- I'm finding life to not be as scary as it used to be. The unknown in the future is turning into an adventure instead of a trial.
4- Although my hair has changed textures, colors, and thickness, it does generally do what it is told to when I use enough hairspray and mousse.
5- I appreciate the days when I can get dressed up and go out with my hubby.
6- Although I may not burn as many calories as I take in even with running 4-6 miles a day, I appreciate treats and special meals when I eat them.
7- I appreciate a good bra and a good pair of jeans more than 8 years ago. (Although I know that this appreciation will grow exponentially through the years.)
8- My husband really notices when I do my hair.
9- The moisturizers that I thought I needed back then are being put to good use now.
10- I have already carried and delivered three of my children.
11- My husband will be done with his professional training in 3 1/2 years. Wait, I don't think this one really applies here.
12- Husbands who have a little salt in their pepper hair are WAY hot! (Don't be offended Austin. You are not going gray, you are just becoming "seasoned" and therefore more desireable.)
13- Nobody expects me to be bubbly and happy all the time.
14- Crockpots are AWESOME!
15- I'm painfully aware of a lot of the questions that I don't have answers for and how much I don't know about life but this makes me more humble, I think.
16- Sleep is a recreation.
17- My kids are refreshing and challenging.
18- I am a laundry expert.
19- I'm happier now.
20- 32 is still 8 years away from 40.


Love you ladies! Keep me posted on all your happenings! You are really inspiring and I'm glad I had that time with you!

8 comments:

primaballerinakiely said...

I still remember that your pinkie does not go past your knee in a grand plie! I had so much fun being Clara in my academy's The Nutcracker Suite!!!! You were a great teacher! Love, Kiely Edmonds

Kristi said...

I wish I was 32. lucky!! ;)

Alaina Nelson said...

although I am not one of your dance students, I still feel I fit into this blog, and I LOVED it! I cant waitn until I am getting married and having kids. Well that´s not actualy true, I can wait, but I am looking ofrward to it! Love you

Whitney said...

Hi Andrea! What a sweet post. I loved it. Its amazing how fast time goes by, and how all the stages of life seem to string together. Im so glad I was told about your blog! I think about you often. Your kids are beautiful! Next time you are in town, we really should stage a reunion. Im sure you always have a lot going, but it would be really fun to get together again. We had some great times!

xoxo

Kimberli said...

What a great post! Less than a year and until I get to enjoy the blessings of 32... yea!

Danielle said...

This really is such a beautiful post. Sometimes I wish I were where you were, being a mom with the cutest kids, and other times I wish I could go back for a second an live a year over again. Then I remember something my grandma said.. try not to wish my life away, or back again..make the best of everyday so I don't regret yesterdays.
We did have a wonderful time and I know so many of us feel you really touched our lives. I wish I could have a dose of your stories and sound effects every so often though... :)

The Leakes said...

Andrea! This is Jenny (Toney) Leake, another dance student. :) I was going though my emails today and found one my mom had forwarded me quite a while ago with your blog address, so I clicked on it and this is the post I saw, and it made my day! You have such a cute little family and it looks like you are doing great, even at 32! Our blog is jennyleake.blogspot.com, so feel free to take a peek and see what we're up to!

Kristen said...

Ok, Andrea, love you! Thank you so much for that post. What a great perspective. And congrats to Austin and for a new baby. I can't wait until the birth. Too bad you're staying there though. We'd love you to come our way!