So the science fair is a time to learn about the world around us and all of the neat laws of nature. It is also a great time to test the skills of parents and their ability to procrastinate. I think Austin and I didn't do too badly in the procrastination department, we did leave ourselves 76 hours to complete the experiment and create a project. For me that's quite a good amount of time. I do have to say that walking around the displays of the science projects taught me how much I can let my child do. He has some gifts that next time I want utilize and showcase more.
Hyrum's project was on salt and sugar crystals. He grew salt and sugar crystals to see which one would have larger crystals. He really loved the stirring and the food coloring and watching the crystals grow. (Just think how much larger they could have gotten if they had 150 hours to grow or let's say, three weeks!) He also loved his blue poster and cutting out all of the word sheets with the straight edge cutter. This boy was meant to scrapbook!
He enjoys learning so much and seeing new things. He was thrilled to see his project displayed. Ah, but then things went sour. Hyrum came home from school the day of the fair chipper but within an hour began saying that he was sick. I thought maybe he had eaten something weird or too much candy. Austin was working late and I needed to take the kids to the fair to see his project but when Hyrum threw up I thought it was over. Now call me a horrible mom or whatever but as soon as he was done and feeling better, because you always feel better right after you throw up, I piled the kids in the truck and flew to the fair, hoping that we could beat his next episode and still be able to have him see his project. We made it there and Austin was even able to meet us there at the last minute. It was a great experience. I am really proud of Hyrum and what an interested and dedicated learner he is.
We were able to enjoy the fair for about 5 minutes before it closed, and then the kids had some energy to spare and Hyrum was feeling so good that we all went outside to play for a little while. When it was time to go we piled into the truck and I suggested some celebratory ice cream. The kids yelled hooray. Just then Hyrum gagged and anyone who knows me and my kids knows I ALWAYS have a tupperware bowl or bag in my vehicles for just such occasions. While he made himself comfortable with the bowl (it was a false alarm) we settled for a scoop of ice cream at home which made a return trip later. Turns out it wasn't something he ate, both he and Paige had a bug the rest of the evening. But oh what fun the science fair was!
Hyrum with his solutions.




5 comments:
Here is the difference between the crossette family and the nelson family. "Mom the science fair looks so cool I want to do something!" "oh really, I just don't think we have time for something like that this year, maybe next." and in the garbage goes the science fair idea. What great parents you are. Thanks for the update!
Hey Andrea! I'm finally joining the blogging world. And I have to say that is prety darn impressive for a kindergartener! It's good to see what's happening in your world--take care!
Loved his project. Katelyn showed it to us the next day when we went to lunch with her. Way to go, Hyrum! I definitely think he's your best recruit for scrapbooking! Put him to work!
You're so funny Andrea! You always make me laugh. And you're such a great Mom. I just loved Hyrum's project.
Hyrum, awesome job on the science fair buddy. It looks really cool. We love you and miss you. Eldon says "Hi!"
Post a Comment